Sunday, August 19, 2007

a love letter to my sisters.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Funny, but Gretchen's blog about me, totally inspired me to write a blog dedicated to my sisters. I haven't really had time to write it yet because of all of the world traveling. :) I've decided to write it as though its a short letter to each one, just so they know, and so others can get a taste of how much I adore them.

To Gretchen First; My Teacher, Counselor, Close Friend,
How to begin? The amazing times I have been able to sit and talk with you, to just pour out my spirit, to cry and laugh and be as dramatic as they come...you don't mind you just listen and return the drama with earnest. My memories of you when I was little are strong, I think of you as a person who liked school and shopping, definitely loud and always over the top, funny how your still a lot like that. So short were the years before you left for college, but somehow that's OK because I grew to know you so very much deeper long after that time in your life.
Me, a person who hates change, never once was sad about you marrying Josh, but instead was so thankful that you married him so that he could really be a part of my family.
The year that you taught us was the best of all my high school, the memories of all of the exciting things you planned for us, are endless...You kids are going to be so extremely lucky! History club, PE, science out on the deck, the list is endless..
I think it's you who has taught me to love my family the way I do...I am so amazingly blessed to have them...I really am, and I cannot fathom them not being the wonderful part of my life that they are. You, because you are like Dad, and always love a party, have made our house what it is to me..a place of endless memories of good friends and food and late nights, a place that I now welcome my friends as you once did yours...
Lastly (this is WAY too short, I could go on and on)I don't know if you even comprehend a corner of the amazing spiritual influence and accountability partner that you are and have always been to me, everyone needs someone like that and you are definitely that to me, you are one of the very few people who I actually trust to tell me when I have done something wrong, I know your opinion is always scriptural and never just because it's the way you personally want me to be.
Thank you Gretchen,for loving me, I love you,
Emily
PS--what was my imaginary friends name that you drew the comic strip of?...Amy Something, right?


Next to Anna, My Look-alike, Mother #2, Fellow Scrapbooker, Confidante,
When I think of you I just want to start laughing, I don't know why, but I think it's because to this day I'm a little bit self-conscience around you, still somewhat thinking of you as that cool teenage sister who I wanted to be just like. You probably don't know this but every time anyone says that I remind them of you or that they think we look alike, I get so excited because that means I'm cool like you! Obviously, we are much closer friends then we were when we were younger but I still kind of look at you in this awestruck kind of way. You are my scrapbooking sister, and as such would never dream of making fun of me for spending my money on paper and stickers (unlike Gretchen or Abby).
Anna, you are scarily like me, or rather, I am scarily like you....we look alike, talk alike and have similar personality traits..(though there are some ways that Abby is far more like you..:))For this reason you understand me in ways and about things that are far more difficult for other people in my life to understand. Things that may sound like bragging or boasting to other people, you understand as being truly difficult (example: situations with boys...) I feel as though there have been few times that it has been just us two, but there have been a couple and I see that you kind of read me deeper almost than anyone else, like right away you can see past any front I put up..
Anna, do you realize that you are my only sister that wears make-up (no Abby, you don't.), I love that though, because it's another thing that we can talk about. You are also the only one who would come over and steal half of my wardrobe while I'm away in a foreign country.
I have endless things to thank you for, so I'll just name a few 1.) reasoning with mom and dad for me..heehee...you talked mom into letting me wear that dress to be in your wedding (remember she didn't like it because it only had one strap?)...also HP5 was totally because of you....you rock..;)2.)Thank you for being my adventurous sister, the one who likes to ride roller-coasters, "rough-it" in Canada, Own wild beasts (Rigella and Nigella)and eat cookie dough with raw eggs in it, honestly are you afraid of anything besides spiders? 3.)Thanks for being a girlfriend who I truly have a great time with, and who would never want to say no to going out after nursing home...:) You are a great role model to me in your efficiency, and care for people..
Oh Anna, I love you SOOO much and I already loathe the day that I leave you and go off to Louisville...
Thanks for letting the good times roll,
emma
PS--"If you took that book case would you paint it?"..."PSHTUGHLTSHT", Translation: "Duh..."


Abby, Babster, My Baby, Pudding Cup, little Feather, Charm Chee and my BEST friend,
Oh Geeze, Abby....How do I begin....funny when I think about you my whole attitude changes...I all of a sudden feel years younger...Do you want to go plays barbies in the game room?....sadly you probably do..:)
My favorite thing in the whole world about you (or one of my favorites) is that you take your being the youngest very well...I mean yes, you have always had an almost abnormal affection and fascination with babies and small children, but it's like you know we [me, Gretchen, Anna] don't want you to grow up, so you kindly stay young by watching cartoons, sleeping in my room, and thinking boys have cooties...
You and I have shared some wonderful experiences (Disney World, all those fancy dinners with Mom and Dad, camp, our sisters' and brother's weddings, playing at dress-up at Shea's, Monical's, The Chill, and so many more good times) I guess we have experienced sad stuff too, and hard stuff...everyone knows we've fought A LOT and still do, and yet we always end up right. It's funny to me how I still ask you what to do in a lot of situations, even though I'm older you have such an influence on me, you have no idea...It's weird, Abby, because it's like your such a part of my daily life that when you say something nice to me it kind of shocks the heck out of me...like I remember one time you told me my hair looked pretty (or something dumb like that) and I couldn't really believe you had said it...that was the type thing that boys said to flirt or that other girls said to be nice,but not you, it almost made me feel weird...like our relationship is far past the point of pointless compliments.
Abby, you will probably be the only sister to be in my wedding...if the the Lord so leads...as I will hopefully not be having the traditional "bridesmaids" but just you alone to stand beside me as my best friend. I think I can confidently say that you know me so much better and truer and deeper and at my worst and best, then anyone else on this earth...Daniel has barely unearthed a corner of the knowledge you retain about me and who I am...in some ways it scares me, because I so want to spare you from any sin I have committed, but it is good to have someone know me so well, and still manage to love me like you do.
Thanks for being my kindred spirit, my listener, my playmate, my shadow.
I love you Char,
Emma



Nancy, Nannoo, Nanc...etc.
Without you I would no nothing of Boy Bands or Disney channel, though you've spent less time with me then all of my sisters, I still wonder if you don't know almost more about me, and how easily I am prone to sin.
You have taught me so much about how forgiveness is still possible even when you have been wronged greatly, something with which I struggle like crazy. You also deal with what seems to me as unfairness with great poise, conduct and love. How can you love me when I have so many times treated you unfairly, or let Abby win an argument against you just because it's easier.
You most definitely make life far more exciting and interesting than it was without you...you make me think in different angles and you make me see life as something to be laughed at.
You are so dramatic which helps you fit in with all of us, and you have a really great gift with children...I have yet to see a child not want to play when you are in the room...
You, like me, have had to learn to give in to others...and it is a difficult thing, but I have seen you grow greatly in this area...

I love you Nanc, and I have no clue where my life would be without you,
emma


I have one more thing to say, just a little note to my other "sisters".

To Alyssa, My Tirantafu, one of my closest friends, my secret-keeper;), my text-messaging buddy,
Thanks for letting us be the sisters you never had, and for all of your secret languages and dance moves, you have to know how much I love you!
-emma

To Janet, my only sister-in-law,
Thank you for being the beautiful image of a godly woman to me, your inward beauty shines through you so radiantly, and I love you so much for that, and I can't even remember life before you.
-emma

To Shea and Misty, my true friends,
Thanks for teaching me the importance of sisterhood, and how being a girl is so very wonderful! I love you both, and your willing hearts,
emma

6 comments:

Gretchen said...

Emma,

I'm weeping. It's too much.

P.S. Her name was Amee Gullee

Emily said...

Wow....*Sniffle*




Im dreading the day though it steadly aproches that you will be leaving to go to Louisville it kills me to think that you are having fun without me....which I know you will

I mean I won't have anyone to cry with to yell at and get sicknesses from....and share a room with =)

I love you so much you are my best friend and you will be my Maid of honor cuz Im going to have a real wedding instead of Eloping or however you spell it anyway I love you

~Abby~

Gretchen said...

Dang, Abby needs punctuation lessons. Funny how Abby can use such a poetic phrase as "though it steadily approaches" yet not use correct capitalization (for instance, "Eloping or however you spell it" because Eloping is the proper name for running away to get married. Hee hee!). Interesting. I was confused at first why Emily was saying those things to herself. DUH!

So anyway, Emily, how did the paper writing go? All good? What did you read for Mary Coffman's class?

Emily said...

ummm the paper went good I guess...and my next assignment is much more up my ally.
For Mary Coffman's class we read so far, The Story of an Hour, and The New England Nun...I was one of te only ones who actually read them, and the boys were complaining that the stories were too feministic (not in class, and I'm sure this is no surprise, half my class seems to be either from georgetown or jamaica)....but I liked both of them even though they were definitly original...



well I'll see you tonight hopefully!
-emma

James and Christen said...

Thank you for sharing your heart and the special relationship you have with your sisters. I pray that my kids will be as close as you guys are. I know there are always rough patches but to make it through with such strong ties...

I am sure you'll soon be moving south. We are praying for you as you embark upon this new phase of life.

Christen

Janet said...

I'm honored! I love having 5 wonderful sister-in-laws!